- Currently, only the manufacturers are held liable under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act
- Pharmaceutical companies that market drugs will now fall under the ambit of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act (DCA), according to a notification issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- This means they will be held liable if the drug is found to be spurious, or its quality is deemed sub-standard.
- At present, only the manufacturer of the drug is held liable under the DCA.
- The pharma firms themselves, which market the drug, would lend the products their brand names, affixing their names on the packages for sale and distribution..
Read full article: thehindubusinessline.com